LogoCmadeira2020

LogoSRTC2020

PT EN

Parallelepiped-shaped bottle-case with convex lid. The front, sides and back are smooth, standing out, in the front area and in the corners, darker wood inlay with application of lighter vertical lines. It rests on spherical metallic legs.
The interior is upholstered with red velvet, with incomplete separators for six glass jars and tops, as well as a small octagonal glass platter.
Inside the lid, special support for hanging two wine glasses. The quality glasses feature decorative painting of garlands with gold vegetable motifs.
Outside the lid, there are two small handles, as well as two metal handles on the sides.
This travel bottle-case can be attributed to an English workshop from the transition from the 18th to the 19th century, knowing Portuguese versions with great formal proximity, marking an incipient Neoclassicism.
The importance that the Hepplewhite and Sheraton models had in Portuguese carpentry is well known.
Source: Obras de Referência dos Museus da Madeira, 500 Anos de História de um Arquipélago ("Reference Works of the Museums of Madeira, 500 Years of History of an Archipelago"); SRE/DRAC/DSM; 2009. [catalogue entry no. 204].
Credits: Quinta das Cruzes Museum

frasqueira2viagem

Travel Bottle-Case | England, George III (1760-1801) | Late 18th century | Mahogany, mahogany root, lignum vitae | A. 26.5 x L. 27.7 x P. 21.2 cm | MQC 1339.1 | © PedroClode2009